THE VALUE OF IMMUNOHISTOCHEMISTRY
IN THE ASSESSMENT OF BONE MARROW DISORDERS
Attilio Orazi, M.D., FRCPath. and Dennis P. O'Malley, M.D.
OTHER MARKERS USED TO STUDY B-CELL PROLIFERATIONS:
CD5, CD23, CD10
Several recently available antibodies including CD5, CD23, and CD10 allow paraffin section
immunohistochemistry to be used similarly to flow cytometry when classifing B-cell lymphoid proliferations
involving the bone marrow. Similar results can be obtained with both B5 and formalin fixation. However,
all these markers (CD10 in particular) require well-fixed tissue coupled to an adequate antigen retrieval
strategy. Subtypes of malignant B-cell lymphomas composed of small lymphocytes show distinct antigenic
profiles with CD5, CD23, and CD10. CD10 can also be used to identify the presence of a precursor B cell
phenotype in blasts of cases of acute lymphoblastic leukemia/lymphoblastic lymphoma (Bavikatty et al, 2000).
- Bavikatty et al: Anti-CD10 immunoperoxidase staining of paraffin-embedded acute leukemias: comparison
with flow cytometric immunophenotyping. Hum Pathol. 2000;31:1051-4.
- Chen et al: Classification of small B-cell lymphoid neoplasms using a paraffin section
immunohistochemical panel. Appl Immunohistochem Molecul Morphol. 2000;8:1-11.
- De Leon et al: Usefulness of an immunohistochemical panel in paraffin-embedded tissues for the
differentiation of B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphomas of small lymphocytes. Mod Pathol. 1998;11:1046-51.
- Dorfman et al: Usefulness of a new CD5 antibody for the diagnosis of T-cell and B-cell
lymphoproliferative disorders in paraffin sections. Mod Pathol. 1997;10:859-63.
- Kumar et al: Use of CD23 (BU38) on paraffin sections in the diagnosis of small lymphocytic lymphoma and
mantle cell lymphoma. Mod Pathol. 1996;9: 925-9.
- Kurtin et al: Demonstration of distinct antigenic profiles of small B-cell lymphomas by paraffin
section immunohistochemistry. Am J Clin Pathol. 1999;112:319-29.
- Murray et al: CD23 expression in non-Hodgkin lymphoma: immunohistochemical demonstration using the
antibody BU38 on paraffin sections. J Pathol. 1991;165:125-8.
- Watson et al: Monoclonal antibodies recognizing CD5, CD10 and CD23 in formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded
tissue: production and assessment of their value in the diagnosis of small B-cell lymphoma.
Histopathology. 2000; 36:145-50.