THE VALUE OF IMMUNOHISTOCHEMISTRY
IN THE ASSESSMENT OF BONE MARROW DISORDERS
Attilio Orazi, M.D., FRCPath. and Dennis P. O'Malley, M.D.
Anti-CD3 is a polyvalent rabbit antibody made to human T cells. We believe it is the single antibody of
choice in screening for T cell lymphomas and T cell proliferations, being more specific than CD45Ro (UCHL1),
which we no longer use. We use a heat induced epitope retrieval method and find that the antibody works
well in both formalin and B5-fixed material and in decalcified material. We have found that the majority of
T cell lymphomas stain with CD3 although occasional tumors occur in which the antigen is deleted as part of
the neoplastic process. This is most likely to occur in high grade T cell lymphomas or in anaplastic large
- Anderson C, Rezuke WN, Kosciol CM, Pastuszak WT, Cartun RW. Identification of T-cell lymphomas in
paraffin-embedded tissues using polyclonal anti-CD3 antibody: comparison with frozen section
immunophenotyping and genotypic analysis. Modern Pathology 1991;4:358.
- Campana D, Thompson JS, Amlot P, Brown S, Janossy G. The cytoplasmic expression of CD3 antigens in
normal and malignant cells of the T lymphoid lineage. J Immunol 1987;138:648.
- Erber WN, Pinching AJ, Mason DY. Immunocytochemical detection of T cell and B cell populations in
routine blood smears. Lancet 1984;1:1042.
- Mason DY, Cordell J, Brown M, et al. Detection of cells in paraffin wax embedded tissue using
antibodies against a peptide sequence from the CD3 antigen. J Clin Pathol 1989;42:1194.
- Mason DY, Krissansen GW, Davey FR, Crumpton MJ, Gatter KC. Antisera against epitopes resistant to
denaturation on T3 (CD3) antigen can detect reactive and neoplastic T cells in paraffin embedded tissue
biopsy specimens. J Clin Pathol 1988;41:121.
- Picker LJ, Weiss LM, Meideros LJ. Wood DW, Warnke RA. Immunophenotypic criteria for the diagnosis of
non-Hodgkin's lymphomas. Am J Clin Pathol 1987;128:1811.