Submitted by: Yun Gong, UT M. D. Anderson Cancer Center
PA 42-year old woman with a non-tender anterior neck nodule found incidentally by self-palpation
She had no past family or personal history of malignancy
Submitted by: Ed Stelow, University of Virginia
Imagine, If You Will...
- It's 4:30 on Friday
- Last cytology case
- A thyroid FNA from outside that did not have any on-site interpretation
- It is from a 45-year old woman with a "2.5 cm left thyroid nodule"
- You open the tray...there are 20 slides that all look bloody, you cannot grossly see any colloid and...there are very few dots from your screener
What You Have
- Blood, a lot
- 15-20 groups of follicular cells… no microfollicles, occasional sheets
- No nuclear features of papillary CA
- A little colloid, probably
- Some siderophages
What is your diagnosis?
Submitted by: Mike Thrall,
The Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX and Weill Cornell Medical College
50 Year-Old Female: 1.8 cm Left Thyroid Nodule Ultrasound-Guided FNA