Timeline

In 1906 Maude Abbott, James Carroll, and William MacCallum met at the Army Medical Museum in Washington DC to form the first organizing committee to establish the International Association of Medical Museums (IAMM). There they drafted invitation letters that were sent to leading museums of the world requesting them to join a new international organization that would allow the exchange of museum materials for teaching and research. One year later, the first documented meeting of the IAMM was held with prominent physicians from Canada, the United States, Germany, and the UK in attendance. From that meeting IAMM bylaws were developed, scientific programs were created, and the IAMM Bulletin became a valuable journal of pathologic anatomy. Not too long after, multiple IAMM divisions developed to include Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Holland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, and Scotland. The timeline below highlights key moments along the history of this organization that from its seminal meeting over a century ago, have allowed it to become the International Academy of Pathology (IAP), the largest organization of physician-pathologists in the world.

 

1906: Maude Abbott, James Carroll, and William MacCallum meet to establish the IAMM

 

1913: London – First meeting of IAMM is held outside of the US

 

1914: Lord Strathcona – Lord Strathcona, who is Resident Governor of the Hudson’s Bay Company, High Commissioner of Canada, and Chancellor of McGill gives the first major gift of $5000 to the IAMM, this donation is used to fund the IAMM Bulletin

 

1914: World War I – WWI disrupts IAMM activities and sections in many European countries dissolve

 

1915: IAMM Bulletin pledges unanimity in the midst of war

 

1924: Osler Memorial – The 8th IAMM Bulletin is dedicated to the memory of founding member William Osler

 

1930: Carnegie Foundation – Carnegie Foundation awards the IAMM a grant of $5000

 

1937: World War II – WW II begins in Europe

 

1940: Maude Abbott dies

 

1942: IAMM international activities cease – During WWII the IAMM meets only once, and afterwards meetings are restricted to gatherings of the Council. International activities of the IAMM cease

 

1948: Meetings resume – IAMM meetings resume

 

1952: Laboratory Investigation created – The Bulletin is replaced with a new journal: Laboratory Investigation. Within a few months the first issues are exhausted; the first volume contains the first mention of pathological effects of new chemotherapeutic agents

 

1953: First Long Course developed – At the 42nd meeting a Special Course on the Anatomy, Physiology, and Pathology of one organ (The Kidney) is presented by a number of speakers. This is the genesis of the Long Course

 

1955: IAMM becomes IAP – The IAMM’s name is changed to the International Academy of Pathology (IAP) to emphasize its goal of serving as a learned society united for the advancement of the sciences. The IAP is incorporated in Washington DC on November 14, 1955

 

1960: International Pathology – The second phase of the IAP Bulletin begins with the publication of International Pathology; the first Editor was Chapman Binford

 

1961: Academy Seal – The IAP Academy Seal is developed and unveiled on the cover of  Laboratory Investigation. A representation of the Marshall-Hooke microscope (c1704) is used to represent the educational, teaching, and investigative aspects of the Academy, and the Earth, to indicate its international aspect

 

1969: International expansion – A new Constitution and Bylaws formalize both the Divisional and the International organization of the IAP. Divisions evolve in various countries throughout the world

 

Today: Approximately 50 Divisions throughout the world have been formed with over 18,000 members worldwide, representing the largest organization of physician-pathologists in the world