Carl Vernon Weller
Born: 17 February 1887, St. Johns, Michigan
Died: 10 December 1969, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- AB: Albion College, Albion, Michigan, 1908
- MD: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1913
- MS: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1916
- ScD (hon.): Albion College, 1956
- 1911 - 1916 Instructor in Pathology, University of Michigan
- 1916 - 1921 Assistant Professor Pathology, University of Michigan
- 1921 - 1924 Associate Professor Pathology, University of Michigan
- 1924 - 1931 Professor of Pathology and Assistant Director of Pathological Laboratories, University of Michigan
- 1931 - 1938 Professor of Pathology and Director of Pathological Laboratories, University of Michigan
- 1938 - 1956 Chair, Department of Pathology, University of Michigan and Chief of the Laboratory of Pathology at the University Hospital
Selected Career Highlights
Author of 150 articles dealing with mustard gas poisoning (with A.S. Warthin), neoplasms, TB, lead and alcoholic blastophthoria, the hemolymph nodes, hematology, biological aspects of the aging process, developmental disturbances, forensic medicine, causal factors in lung cancer (a text), and the history of medicine.
Editor of The Annals of Internal Medicine (1931-1933) and The American Journal of Pathology (1941- 1969).
Lectured medical students for 25 years of his chairmanship. Attended and organized all of the weekly two-hour CPC's for senior medical students. In his 45 years as a educator he had more than 5000 students in the medical school.
During his tenure, over 50 pathologists were trained in his department, more than one-half million separate surgical specimens were examined, and 13,000 necropsies performed.
President of: American Society for Experimental Pathology (1933), the American Association of Pathologists and Bacteriologists (1938-1939). Member and Chief of the Scientific Advisory Board of the AFIP at the time of his death.
An annual lectureship, known as the Carl V. Weller Lecture, was established in 1956 by the Michigan State Pathological Society.
The Carl Vernon Weller Award for scholarship in Pathology was instituted by the Galens Honorary Medical Society of the University of Michigan Medical School in 1956 in recognition of Dr. Weller's "devoted life of teaching in Pathology.