Jack Malcolm Layton
Born: Iowa City, Iowa
- AB: Luther College, Decorah, Iowa 1939
- MD: University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa 1943
- 1950 - 1967 Assistant Professor then Associate Professor Pathology, State University of Iowa College of Medicine
- 1967 - 1991 Professor and Head, Department of Pathology, University of Arizona and Director of Clinical Pathology, University Hospital, Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, Arizona
- University Hospitals and State University of Iowa College of Medicine, Department of Pathology, Iowa City, Iowa
Selected Career Highlights
President: American Society of Clinical Pathologists (1973); Association of Pathology Chairmen (1973); and The American Board of Pathology.
Trustee of the American Board of Pathology (1974- ).
Appointed by the President of the United States to the Board of Regents of the National Library of Medicine (1969) and Chairman of the Board of Regents (1972-1973).
Served on many national advisory boards and councils, including the National Pathology Advisory Council for the Veterans Administration, as well as on the Special Medical Advisory Group established by Congress to advise the Administrator of the VA on medical matters.
Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the AFIP.
USCAP Delegate to the American Medical Association, and Chair of the USCAP Finance Committee for many years (1976-1993).
Chair, ad hoc committee of the IAP whose recommendations on reorganization and the establishment of a full time Secretariat were accepted by the USCAP membership.
Vice President of the IAP for many years, and Chairman of its Finance Committee for many years.
He was a source of advice and information for many, with his knowledge and understanding of American Pathology and the future thrust of our profession.