Leland Douglas Stoddard
Born: 15 March 1919 Hillsboro, Illinois
Died: 26 August 2000 Augusta, Georgia
- BA: DePauw University, Greencastle, Indiana 1940
- MD: Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine 1943
- 1947 - 1951 Assistant, Instructor then Associate in Pathology, Duke University School of Medicine
- 1951 - 1954 Assistant Professor then Associate Professor of Pathology, University of Kansas Medical School
- 1954 - 1973 Chairman, Department of Pathology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia
- officially retiring in 1989
- Duke University Hospital
Selected Career Highlights
His medical class at Johns Hopkins was the last one taught by William MacCallum. Dr. MacCallum's interest in museums included the "open" storage of dissected organs from whole cases used in teaching the pathology course. Dr. Stoddard became an exponent of the case-method of teaching largely because of his residency with Wiley Forbus at Duke (Dr. Forbus was a resident of MacCallum's; Dr. Forbus, a famous textbook writer like his mentor, and an innovative teacher, who supported the IAMM/IAP and gave its first Long Course).
As Chairman of Pathology at the Medical College of Georgia (1953-1973) he was the bridge between the old and the new MCG Pathology Department. His task was to recruit the first full-time faculty in Pathology, and to plan for the opening of the new hospital.
Served as the sixth Secretary-Treasurer of the USCAP from 1970-1979. He was instrumental in moving the USCAP offices to Augusta, Georgia, where he was Chairman of the Department of Pathology at the Medical College of Georgia, in Augusta. He guided the organization through a period of change and growth that led to the permanent secretariat being established in Augusta.
Helped rewrite the USCAP constitution, once when the Divisional structure of the IAP was established in 1969, and again in 1976. Was Vice President from North America (1974-1978), and then admirably served as Treasurer of the IAP for many years.
Head of Pathology at the Atomic Bomb Casualty Commission, Hiroshima/Nagasaki, Japan (1961-1962) and later held a visiting professorship at Osaka University Medical School.
Managing Editor, Pathology Research and Practice.
Recipient of the IAP Gold Medal (1996).
Served as first clarinetist for the Augusta Symphony Orchestra (for 15 years) and also served on the board of Directors for the Augusta Symphony League.
Always recognizable nattily dressed in his dark suite/tux and his black bow-tie!
Member, National Study on the Medical Importance of Wine (1970).
Member, Pluto Club (of the Association of University Pathologists).
Organizing Chairman and First President, The Augusta Torch Club.
The consummate Southern Gentleman.