Peter Allan Ward
Born: Winsted, Connecticut
- BS: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 1958
- MD: University of Michigan, Medical School, Ann Arbor 1960
- 1967 - 1971 Chief, Immunobiology Branch, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, D.C.
- 1971 - 1980 Professor and Chairman (from 1973), Department of Pathology, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, Connecticut
- 1980 - 2005 Professor and Chairman, Department of Pathology, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 1982 - 1985 Interim Dean, Medical School, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 1987 - date Godfrey D. Stobbe Professor, Department of Pathology, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
- Bellevue Hospital, New York University, New York City
- The University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Scripps Clinic and Research Foundation, La Jolla, California
- 1965 - 1967 Captain, MC, USA, Chief, Immunobiology Branch, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, D.C.
Selected Career Highlights
The fourth Chairman of Pathology at the University of Michigan, following Alfred Scott Warthin, Carl V. Weller and A. James French.
Became one of the youngest Chairs of Pathology in the nation (age 37 at the University of Connecticut).
International reputation as a scientist with a well-established research program in freeradical biology and pulmonary inflammatory diseases.in vivo.
During 1982-1985 served University of Michigan as both Chair of Pathology and Dean of the Medical School. It is said that he did one job in the AM and the other in the PM!
Member of a record-number of Editorial Boards (at least 32) including:
- American Journal of Pathology
- Annuals of Internal Medicine
- Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
- Arthritis and Rheumatism
- Cancer Research
- Clinical Immunology and Immunopathology
- CRC Critical Reviews in Free radical Research (and Toxicology)
- Experimental Cell research
- Experimental Lung Research
- Human Pathology
- Infection and Immunity
- Journal of Clinical Investigation
- Journal of Experimental Pathology
- Journal of Immunology
- Laboratory Investigation
- New England Journal of Medicine
- Consulting Editor of 12 international journals.
Member of multiple NIH Study Sections and holds multiple patents.
Recipient of a great many honors including: Parke-Davis Award from the American Society for Experimental Pathology (1971); the first Godfrey D. Stobbe Professor of Pathology at the University of Michigan (1987); Member, National Academy of Sciences Institute of Medicine (1990); Rous-Whipple Award of the American Society of Investigative Pathology (1996); Gold-Headed Cane Award, American Society for Investigative Pathology (ASIP) (2001); Lifetime National Associate of the National Academies of Science (2001); J. Burns Amberson Lecturer, American Thoracic Society (2003); the Distinguished Service Award from the Association of Pathology Chairs (2004); Chugai Award for Meritorious Mentoring and Scholarship, ASIP (2005); and the 2005 Shock Society Scientific Achievement Award (2005).
President of the American Association of Pathologists (1979-1980); American Board of Pathology (1996); Phi Rho Sigma (University of Michigan)(1988); Society for Leukocyte Biology (2004-2006); Universities Associated for Research and Education in Pathology (1988-1990).
Author of over 600 publications, 230 chapters and three books.