Virginia Anne Livolsi
Born: Bronx, New York
- BS: College of Mount Saint Vincent, New York, New York 1965
- MD: Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York City, New York 1969
- 1973 - 1974 Instructor in Pathology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York City
- 1974 - 1983 Assistant Professor, then Associate Professor (1979) of Pathology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut
- 1983 - date Professor of Pathology and Laboratory medicine, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 1983 - date Member, University of Pennsylvania Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, New York City, New York (under Dr. Raffaele Lattes)
Selected Career Highlights
Expert General Surgical Pathologist with extraordinary expertise in endocrine (thyroid et al.) pathology, (having worked closely with Dr. Karl H. Perzin in pathology and Dr. Carl Feind in Surgery while at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons); and also GYN, breast, and Head and Neck Pathology.
Author of more than 350 papers, 65 chapters, and 10 books
Charter Member of the Endocrine Pathology Society (1991) and President (1995-1996). Founding member of the Association of Directors of Anatomic/Surgical Pathology (1989) and President (1996-1998). Also active in the American Thyroid Association.
President, Pathology Society of Philadelphia (1994-1996).
Consultant for many institutes and studies.
Member, Editorial Board (20) including:
- AFIP/ARP Fascicles (Tumor and Non-tumor)
- American Journal of Clinical Pathology
- Endocrine Pathology
- Endocrine Practice
- Human Pathology
- International Journal of Surgical Pathology
- Journal of the National Cancer Institute
- Major Problems in Pathology
- Modern Pathology
- Pathology Patterns
- Pathology Research and Practice
- Seminars in Diagnostic Pathology
- Surgical Pathology
- The American Journal of Surgical Patholog
- The International Journal of Gynecologic Pathology
Co-Director, USCAP Summer Course: Diagnostic Pathology (1994-2000).
Co-Director, USCAP Long Course (with Dr. DeLellis) on Thyroid and Parathyroid Pathology (1992).
Faculty member at various USCAP educational endeavors including multiple Short Courses, Abstract Moderator, Specialty Conference Moderator and Panelist, and Faculty member of numerous USCAP Companion Societies.
Major influence on her own trainees, and on international academic pathologists from Europe, Russia, South America and Asia.
Involved in various aspects of tissue procurement and banking for research and served as PI on the Eastern Division of the Cooperative Human Tissue Network (funded by the NIC) for over 12 years.
First female president of the Arthur Purdy Stout Society (1997-1999).
Member, Pathology Panel of the Chernobyl Tumor Bank (1998-present) and Chair (2005-2007).
On the twentieth anniversary of the Chernobyl nuclear accident, spoke at the United Nations in a Conference on Radiation and Neoplasia (2006).
Maude Abbott Lecturer (2007) on Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma.
Loves her cats - Rigel, Pumpkin and Biff (r.i.p.); Scarlett and Rhett - and Italian opera, needlepoint and traveling.